GLA:D™ Canada is a program that works for individuals who experience any level of hip and/or knee osteoarthritis symptoms.
The GLA:D™ program is an education and exercise program that has helped thousands of people with hip and knee osteoarthritis (OA) manage their symptoms of pain and loss of function.
The program reflects the latest OA research and has been developed based on feedback from people with OA, as well as healthcare professional who provide care to individuals with mild to severe symptoms. GLA:D® therefore provides an evidence-based approach that works in the real world.
To determine if you will benefit from the GLA:D® program you will undergo an assessment by a health care practitioner, which will include a physical assessment as well as some functional tests. Once you have been told the program is right for you, the GLA:D® program consists of:
- Neuromuscular exercise sessions twice a week for six weeks to improve muscle control and stability of the joint, which leads to reduction in symptoms and improved quality of life. Participants are are educated on how to include the neuromuscular exercises in daily physical activity and advised to continue to be physically active to ensure that the improvements in muscle stabilization are maintained in the long term.
- Two education sessions which teach participants about OA, including the degeneration process in the joint, how the GLA:D™ Canada exercises improve joint stability, and how to retain this improved joint stability through day to day self-management techniques.
- The majority of patients will be encouraged to attend these classes in a group session as the evidence shows that this results in the best improvements in symptoms. However some individuals who are more active or have less ability to attend can receive the program on an individual basis
Call the clinic to clarify the start times for the program, the pricing, as well as the potential need for a referral from a physician. In most cases this will not be required. Book an Assessment with GLAD therapist
Prior to participating in the program, the GLAD therapist will complete a physical assessment to ensure that you have symptoms that will respond to the GLAD™ Canada program.
The cost of the program is set by the clinic so there may be costs associated with attending. However, for those who have access to benefits, the insurance companies will often cover the cost of the program.
Here are some Key Results:
- a mean 26% improvement in pain
- over 30% of individuals experiencing a marked improvement in activities of daily living and sport and recreation
- over 40% of individuals experiencing a marked improvement in quality of life
The results show that the GLAD™ Canada program is successfully supporting people with hip and knee OA allowing them to manage their symptoms, improve their function and quality of life, and increase their physical activity. For more information, Contact Us Today at Oakville, ON Center.
Links for further Read:
Read more about Osteo arthirits at https://beactivephysio.ca/physiotherapy-services/arthritis-pain-relief/
Read more about GLAD at https://gladcanada.ca/
Read in detail about results at https://gladcanada.ca/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/2018-GLAD-Canada-Report-Executive-Summary.pdf